Behind The Scenes Tour with Food and Wine Pairing Experience
- Duration: 120 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Margaret River, WA
- Product code: BTST Degustation
Join us Behind the Scenes at Cape MentelleThe tour starts at 10.30 am and guests will be asked to arrive at the cellar door by 10.20am where you will be welcomed by your tour guide and host. The group will first visit the historic Wallcliffe Vineyard established in 1970. (Please wear flat closed-in shoes)
- The guide will discuss our viticultural practices and the influences on wine styles and quality. We discuss the historical reasons for the siting of the vineyard and beginnings of Margaret River as a wine growing region. The life cycle of the vine will be discussed in context of what is happening in the vineyard at any given time.
- Next we will visit the winery and discuss in detail how our wine is made. We discuss crushing/destemming, fermentation, maceration, pressing and barrel ageing. You will also learn the different techniques required for making white wine and red wines. The guide will be happy to take questions at any stage of the tour.
Most days we will be able to do some ‘tank thieving’ – a term used to describe tasting directly from the tank.
This is a seasonal option and therefore not always available.
Depending on wine-making activities on the day, it may be possible to visit the Barrel Hall. Here we can discuss the different types of oak barrels and their influence on the wine.
- To follow is the food and wine pairing. This tutored tasting consists of 6 canapés matched with 6 current release wines. The host will discuss the principles of food and wine pairing as we work through each dish and selected wine. This is not a lunch, the focus is on the wines and which foods to pair them with.
Guests are asked to wear flat, closed in shoes as we are visiting a vineyard and working winery. Please be aware that in winter the vineyard can be quite muddy, so choose your footwear accordingly.
We can cater for vegetarian and gluten free options. No other dietary requirements can be catered for. Please feel free to contact us regarding a specific food allergy.
Children aged 5-18 years are welcome on the walking component of the tour, however the food and wine pairing option is not available for children.
This is a 2 hour event finishing at approximately 12.30pm.